Skills for Work Certificate - my experience of the summer programme


Over the summer I worked at a summer camp in America. Whilst that was an amazing experience in itself, I wanted to fully maximise the experience further enhancing my personal development. This was where the Skills for Work Certificate became relevant to me.

By undertaking the Skills for Work Certificate, I was constantly evaluating every situation I found myself in, allowing for the best possible experiences to be used as examples in my skills record sheet. Because of its reflective nature, doing this allowed me to learn so much about myself especially the things I never knew I was capable of.

The certificate itself is endorsed by various organisations such as BT, The Co-operative and PwC. Here’s what BT has to say about the programme:

“This is a fantastic opportunity to increase your employability through developing both your skills and your confidence. Having a good understanding of the transferable skills you possess puts you in a much stronger position when trying to demonstrate these to potential employers”.

In addition to that, the Skills for Work Certificate counts towards the Sheffield Graduate Award (something else I’m doing!).

I signed up for this programme by filling in the registration form on the Skills for Work Certificate webpage – I had to be on a campus computer to do this. After that I had to attend a compulsory hour-long briefing session which prepared me for the programme.

The assessed part of the Skills for Work Certificate consists of:

  • An Occupational Study - research into a graduate job.
  • Work Experience - a minimum of 50 hours.
  • Skills Record Sheet - a reflective record demonstrating skills developed during your work experience.

I really enjoyed my work experience and found the Skills for Work Certificate really worthwhile. If you’d like to find out more, visit: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/careers/students/advice/sfwc

Matthew (Student Blogger)

Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.