Making the most of the Students’ Union


There are so many fantastic opportunities to take part in whilst studying at Sheffield that it can easily become overwhelming.  If you’re anything like me – wanting to try anything and everything – showing commitment can become difficult as you become like a child instantly neglecting their old toys as soon as a shiny new one comes into view!

However, this attitude can also lead to lots of novel and memorable experiences. Some of mine during my time at Sheffield so far include:
  • watching the Malaysian Society’s annual play;
  • exploring the beautiful Peak District and meeting some lovely people with the Walking Club;
  • volunteering with the Sunday Centre for homeless and disadvantaged members of the community via Sheffield Volunteering;
  • attending a couple of heated feminist debates run by Sheffield Debating. 
Having housemates and friends who spend the week going from one committee meeting to the next, it’s important for me to remind myself to continue thinking about what I would like to do, as opposed to what I feel I should do.  For the rest of this semester, my aim is to try out a few more societies and volunteering opportunities that have caught my eye, and hopefully to find one that I would like to get more involved in next academic year.

Kathryn 
(Careers Service Student Ambassador for Arts and Humanities)

To find out more about what you can do to make the most of your time here at the University of Sheffield, visit the Experience Sheffield website.
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.