Catch up with Martina as she starts her career in Law......



In 2015 the Student Jobshop are celebrating 10 years in their current location in the Students’ Union.

As part of our anniversary activities, we contacted a number of our graduates who worked with us as Student Assistants in the Jobshop, to find out what they have been doing since they left University and we thought you might like to hear about their experiences of working whilst they studied and how that helped them to find employment after graduation. 

This week we interviewed Martina Antosova, who studied for the Legal Practice Course and graduated in 2014.  Martina worked as our Student Jobshop Assistant  from Sept 2012 - June 2014
Jobshop:  Please briefly describe  your role in the Jobshop:
Martina:  I worked as a Jobshop Assistant for 2 years, offering help to students searching for part-time jobs and work experience. I was the first point of contact in the Jobshop for students who needed help searching for jobs and I regularly updated the myVacancies database with new jobs. I also helped with the Part-Time Jobs Fair and other employment fairs. But it was not all work, but also some play - I used the blackboard at the back wall of the Jobshop to express my creativity and updated it with the most important or recent job-seeking information for students, together with some "drawings" to make it more fun.

Jobshop What did you gain from working in the Jobshop?
Martina:  I gained various useful skills that prepared me for future jobs, e.g. customer service, communication etc. I have developed my own skills of searching for jobs and writing CVs or covering letters, which were the reason I was successful in finding a graduate job. I also developed networking skills and gained contacts in my chosen field of work which helped me gain work experience and permanent employment. Overall, working in the Jobshop was the most useful and important preparation for my future.

Jobshop Did you undertake any other work experience/part-time work whilst you studied at Sheffield?
Martina: I have also worked as a residential mentor at the University of Sheffield Accommodation and as an assistant at the University of Sheffield Alumni Office.

Jobshop:  What have you been doing since graduation?
Martina: Immediately after finishing my degree in June 2014, I have started a full-time job as a legal advisor in a law firm in Sheffield. I have now been working at this law firm for over a year and I provide advice to trade union members on a variety of legal matters. Since graduation, I have also been applying for training contracts so I can qualify as a solicitor.

Jobshop: What are you up to now?
Martina:  I have been promoted to senior legal advisor in my current employment. I have also managed to successfully secure a training contract in a City law firm and I will be starting there in February 2016.

Jobshop If you could offer one piece of advice to current students about working whilst studying...............
Martina:  Visit the Jobshop in your first year! You should start preparing for the future early - from the first year at university, try to apply for part-time jobs, develop your skills through volunteering or work experience, because it will all pay off in the end. Use the services available at the Jobshop and the Careers Service to help you succeed and you will not have to panic when it comes to graduation.

Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.