Placement Year: Degree with Employment Experience

I’ve just returned to University from a fantastic year on Placement in London, working for the Greater London Authority (GLA), the home of the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson! I am a Music Student and I worked as a Trainee Music Education Project Officer.

After receiving an e-mail to my University account with details of the placement year at the GLA I applied, sending my C.V and answering a number of job focused questions. The following week I was contacted and offered an interview. I was really happy to accept the job offer as the role was exactly the area I want to move into after I finish my degree.

I worked as a part of the Culture Team at City Hall but worked closely and mainly with the Project Manager (Kate Jones) for Rhythm of London (the project I was specifically hired to work on). The aim of Rhythm of London is to encourage and promote music making opportunities for 25’s and under, in the Capital. The organising of a number of high profile events, their promotion, maintaining the projects website and social media sites, putting together a handbook of Rhythm of London partners (for print and online) answering queries and keeping a track of numourous databases kept me on my toes for the year!

Highlights included, helping with the planning and operations for Rhythm of London in Trafalgar Square (a 6 hour concert in iconic London location), Busking Underground: Busk Off at the Indigo O2, and Shoreditch Festival (live final to find London’s best young busker).

I was really pleased with the quality of my placement, the responsibilities that were handed over to me and the friendliness of everyone in my team and workplace overall. I had a fantastic year living in London, have made some great work contacts for the future!

One of the most daunting things about taking a placement year was the fact that all my friends would have graduated on my return to University. There are many options when deciding where to live on your return to University. You may still know a few people staying in Sheffield after they graduate or people taking post-graduate courses. If not I wouldn’t worry as this was not the case for me. I decided that even if I could scrape together the money to live alone I would not want to do this, so instead searched on the Sheffield University housing forum. I contacted a number of people regarding their posts for housemates and after meeting a lovely group of girls for a coffee and viewing the house, signed the contract the following week.

It was not my initial intention to take a placement year as a part of degree but a year working in industry has not only put in good stead to find employment after I finish my degree but was one of the most exciting years of life so far!

Check out the placements website and facebook pages for updates on placements and general information regarding taking a placement year:

Placements for Students

Facebook

Listings of placements can be viewed through your MUSE account.

  • Log into MUSE
  • Click the CAREERS tab
  • In the MyVacancies box click “Careers Vacancy Service” (highlighted in blue)
  • For listings of placements ect. click “Work experience” (highlighted in blue)
  • Finally, tick placements (as your type of work experience) and the areas in which you are interested in working
Alternatively click the following link to browse placement vacancies: MyVacancies
If you would like to talk to the Universities Placement Officer, Claire Brooke then drop in on a Tuesday or Thursday (in term time) between 1 – 2pm to discuss your placement options further with. No need to book just turn up to the Careers Service, First floor, 388 Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JA
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.