Job hunting pretty much sums up my university life...

I am in my penultimate year doing Accounting and Financial Management and I’m struggling to get an internship in the professional services. I’m producing one application every week, in the hope of getting through this process successfully.  I’m very driven and ambitious, but because my aim is to get into one of the big four accountancy firms, I tend to overlook the little opportunities that can prove beneficial.

I find myself losing hope when I get rejections, and I ask myself why am I putting so much time and effort into these application forms? How will this affect my life in the near future? Then I picture myself in five years time and the feeling of being employed in a prestigious firm brings a smile to my face. I don’t give up easily and I’ve been told that every experience is a good experience; you learn something from it. My learning journey is that during the time I am spending on each application, I am finding out a lot about myself in terms of my skills and strengths. The more I practice, the easier it gets in the end - well that’s what I’d like to think!

I would strongly recommend that if you get an opportunity, take advantage of it - life is too short for taking opportunities for granted. Success won’t come to you until you start walking towards it.

Shameen (Student Blogger)
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.