Strike a balance - there’s room for work, study and play!

I have several part-time jobs, all at the University. I am a residential mentor at the Endcliffe Village and I also work at the Student Jobshop and in the Alumni Office. I know it sounds like a lot and it can sometimes be hard to manage time.

But once I knew how much time a week I needed to do all my preparation for lectures and seminars, I knew how much time I could afford to spend working. It still requires good time-management and organisational skills. I organise my time into a calendar and also use to-do lists to make sure I manage to finish all the work on time. But I always plan for some time off as well and I highly recommend this - nobody can work 24/7, we all need to relax and enjoy uni life.

I love working several part-time jobs because it gives me a wide variety of experiences. I also have a lot more to write on my CV because I developed different skills in each job. Having several very different jobs allowed me to work in an office as well as outside it, in a customer service role as well as in a data input role, and in a variety of teams. And I also enjoy working in a few different places because I like to keep myself busy and change my routine a little bit everyday, so it's always an interesting day. Since no day is the same, it never gets boring! 

Martina (Final year Legal Practice Course student)
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.