Catch up with PG Alex as he starts his new career in translation



In 2015 the Student Jobshop are celebrating 10 years in their current location in the Students’ Union.

As part of our anniversary activities, we contacted a number of our graduates who worked with us as Student Assistants in the Jobshop, to find out what they have been doing since they left University and we thought you might like to hear about their experiences of working whilst they studied and how that helped them to find employment after graduation. 

This week we interviewed Alex Stalker, who studied an MA in Translation Studies and graduated in 2015.  Alex worked as our Student Jobshop Assistant  from August 2014 - June 2015.

Jobshop:  Please briefly describe  your role in the Jobshop:
Alex:  I worked closely with the Student Jobshop team to give advice to students and answer a range of queries relating to part-time jobs and work experience. I helped students source jobs online via myVacancies, gave tips relating to CVs and applications and how to make effective use of the Careers Service while studying at Sheffield. Other parts of my role included liaising with employers, uploading internships and placements to myVacancies and helping with events such as the Part Time Jobs Fair.

Jobshop What did you gain from working in the Jobshop?
Alex:  Working in the Jobshop allowed me to develop skills in administration, customer service and communication. On a personal level, by helping students with job applications I learnt a great deal about how to effectively sell my professional skills to employers and I increased my confidence in using basic yet vital skills such as communicating with students and employers on the telephone and by email. As a postgraduate working at the Jobshop I learnt more about how the Careers Service could help students in my position. Working at the Jobshop during the week was ideal for me as it fitted in nicely with my uni and work commitments and social life. I was grateful to be nominated for a Student Employee of the Year award in 2015. I also gained some good friends in the Jobshop staff!

Jobshop Did you undertake any other work experience/part-time work whilst you studied at Sheffield?
Alex: I worked in the evenings as a Residential Mentor at the Ranmoor Village.

Jobshop:  What have you been doing since graduation?
Alex:  I finished working at the Jobshop in June 2015 to pursue a career in the translation industry. Over the summer I worked on my dissertation in the evenings and weekends whilst working full time for a translation company

Jobshop: What are you up to now?
Alex:  I'm working as a translation project co-ordinator for a translation company in Preston. Key skills I developed as a Jobshop employee, such as problem solving, communication and organisational skills have come in very useful in my role so far. At some stage in the next few years I'm hoping to take on some extra work as a freelance translator in my spare time.
Jobshop If you could offer one piece of advice to current students about working whilst studying...............
Alex:  Don't be fazed by working part-time as a student. It may seem like you don't have time for a job but I found that a regular job can increase your focus and productivity with your uni work and it impresses employers when you have evidence of demonstratable skills.

Jobshop: Any other information you wish to share with us or with students:
Alex: Working in the Jobshop highlighted to me that I wish I'd made more use of it along with the Careers Service during my undergraduate degree. The invaluable advice that is given by the friendly and experienced staff is hard to come by elsewhere so students should use it while they can!

Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.