Hear how Dawn's part-time job helped her to find a graduate role in HR



In 2015 the Student Jobshop are celebrating 10 years in their current location in the Students’ Union.

As part of our anniversary activities, we contacted a number of our graduates who worked with us as Student Assistants in the Jobshop, to find out what they have been doing since they left University and we thought you might like to hear about their experiences of working whilst they studied and how that helped them to find employment after graduation. 

This week we interviewed Dawn Wright, who studied Geography and Sociology and graduated in 2007.  Dawn worked as our Student Jobshop Assistant  from 2006-2008.

Jobshop:  Please briefly describe  your role in the Jobshop:
Dawn:  I worked in the student Jobshop 1-2 days per week, providing support to students looking for part time work, internships or placements. I also answered general enquiries in relation to the jobs advertised and work generally. I provided administrative support in the Jobshop, collating vacancy details, listing them on the system and displaying them in the Jobshop. I also attended job fairs ran by the university to advertise the Jobshop and
Careers Service.

Jobshop What did you gain from working in the Jobshop?
Dawn:  I gained valuable work experience which was recent and could go on my CV. Also, as I wanted a career in HR the experience gained in the Jobshop, in recruitment was highly relevant. I also gained administration experience, communication skills and experience of working as part of a team. I also felt that I was providing an important service to students, and liked the concept of the Jobshop.

Jobshop Did you undertake any other work experience/part-time work whilst you studied at Sheffield?
Dawn: I also worked in the HR department for the Students Union, which was influential in my decision to pursue a career within HR. I also used to work for the Finance department, which gave me other business related skills and experience, as did additional work I did during the holidays providing administration support within the Students Union.

Jobshop:  What have you been doing since graduation?
Dawn:  After graduating I went on to complete a Masters degree in Human Resource Management, and continued working on a part time basis during this time. I completed a work placement in HR within a Manufacturing company as part of my degree course, which gave me additional skills and experience. After graduating I then started working in HR for a manufacturing company.

Jobshop: What are you up to now?
Dawn:  I am a HR Manager for Wybone, which is a manufacturing company, I am on the Senior Management Team and am responsible for office operations.

Jobshop If you could offer one piece of advice to current students about working whilst studying...............
Dawn:  Get as much work experience as possible! All jobs provide valuable skills and experience, which you can refer to after graduating, when establishing your career.



Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.