Are you Student Employee of the Year 2016?



We are currently promoting the Student Employee of the Year Awards (SEOTY) and we have Jess Williams working with us as an On CampUS Placement student, helping to promote the awards to all UoS student workers and she has written a blog giving more details about the Award and her role below.

Jess is a final year student and her role is to ensure that as many UoS students as possible, who have a part-time job, are nominated for this prestigious, national award.

The deadline for nominations is 18 April, and at present we are lagging behind Sheffield Hallam, so please read Jess's blog below, look out for  Jess who will  be out and about on campus when the semester re-starts to find out more about SEOTY, or fill in the form in the blog below.

The Student Employee of the Year Awards (SEOTY)

As a student with a part time job, I thought I’d write a post about something that not enough students know about - The Student Employee of the Year Awards. I’ve worked all sorts of jobs in my 3 years at here at university, from representing Virgin Media as a brand ambassador, to waitressing, to being a student caller from the Alumni Fund. There are so many great things about having a part time job, especially if like me your course isn’t too contact heavy (I do English Literature). 

One of the best things I’ve gained from working part time is a huge boost for my CV. The fact I’ve worked a range of roles means that I have transferable skills and experiences. Additionally, I think it is a big tick for employers to see that you’ve actually taken the initiative to do something alongside your degree especially ones with so little contact time. Another benefit is confidence and communication- I have learnt how to speak effectively to a wide variety of people out of the student bubble. It’s great to feel comfortable in a professional environment as at first it can be slightly daunting. Also there is nothing better than being told you’ve done a good job when you’ve worked really hard, this is what gives you a real confidence boost and assurance in your abilities.

So, already I feel like I have got so much out of having a part time job and my latest role is working for the Careers Service as Student Marketing Assistant  to promote  a great opportunity for students who have worked part-time called the Student Employee of the Year Awards. This is a national competition and there is a range of prizes if you win, ranging from a cash prize to entry on to the SEOTY winners Emerging Talent Programme.   

A University of Sheffield student actually won the National Award in 2014; Lewis worked part time as an Alumni Fund student caller and upon receiving the award he said:

“Winning a national competition is a huge honour, and a massive surprise; I’m extremely grateful to my colleagues at the Alumni Fund for nominating me. 


All in all, my part-time job was an overwhelmingly positive experience from which I learned a great deal. To be the winner of this award is icing on the cake- I can include this on my CV to showcase my work, this is definitely something I hope to build on throughout my career.”

Although I have loved my various part-time jobs at university, I have worked hard at them and it would be great to get recognition for it as well as the fact it will look fab on my CV, so be sure you don’t miss your chance to be Student Employee of the Year, and if you have a great employer you too can nominate them as Student Employer of the Year (nominate at: http://www.nases.org.uk/seoty)

So, if you’re a student who works part time and would like the chance to be nominated, simply pop your employer’s details in here: http://goo.gl/forms/WGyYtDH96F  and we will ensure your employer knows about the competition.

Good luck!

Jess 
Careers Service

Careers Service

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.